Published on September 22nd on the Daily Art App
Described by Antonio Saura as “the world’s most beautiful picture”, Francisco Goya’s “The Dog” was painted directly onto the wall of the Spanish painters home in the waning years of his life as he was suffering from both mental and physical despair.
This painting shows a dog’s head with the snout pointed upwards, ears pinned back and wide eyes gazing toward the sky. The painting can be divided into two sections, one a dark mass that conceals the dog’s entire body, possibly earth or quicksand. The second section, a vast sky which conveys the loneliness of the dog and is highlighted by a large black mass, most likely an original painting that was on the wall before Goya decided it must be painted over.
The true meaning of the painting will never be known, no writings were found, it was never spoken of and it would make perfect sense that Goya never intended for anyone to ever see this painting. The dog being buried represents his feeling of being trapped, old and alone, physically and mentally weak. With his demise near, all that could be done was look up to the heavens waiting for some divine intervention that never came. The hopelessness is palpable.
“The Dog” is without a doubt visually the least haunting of the “Black Paintings, all of which are all on display at the Museo del Prado in Madrid.
Published on September 21st on FloHoops.com
The NBA season officially, finally starts on October 16th. While I’m not totally sure what all is going to go down this season, I am confident that these aren’t great, super fun ways to start your season…
Confidence Picks presented by Quicken Loans
- Deciding whether or not you’re committed to your new squad, that is also in Canada — Kawhi Leonard
- Figuring out how to split minutes between Lonzo Ball and Rajon Rondo — Luke Walton
- Demanding a trade from the team you are currently playing for, the Minnesota Timberwovles — Jimmy Butler
- Going under the knife for “minor” arthroscopic surgery on your left knee — Russell Westbrook
- Still trying to find your shot in this leaked footage — Markelle Fultz
- Strongly considering leaving basketball so you can join the Los Angeles Rams — Kevin Durant
- Signing a jersey sponsorship with BioFreeze, I mean you’re basically telling all of your opponents that you are sore — Portland Trailblazers
- Being the — New York Knicks
- And forgetting the regulation size of NBA basketballs — Anthony Davis
Here’s to anxiously waiting for the start of the NBA season, now only a few weeks away.
marathon poster for professional running team hoka naz elite
graphic for flotrack’s ncaa prelim show, a preview for the ncaa east and ncaa west preliminary rounds live on flotrack.com
one dog graphic a day, every day for all of 2017
recruiting poster for the norwich university cross country team
mortified show poster celebrating pride month live at spiderhouse ballroom
logo for red stag tattoo shop in austin, texas